Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for June, 2011

I’ve been busy since my last post a little over a month ago! Find yourself a good spot on the sidewalk, the FO parade is coming through town…

Ennoble (Nelkin Designs Mystery KAL)
Quite an unglamorous photo… will probably replace later when I take a better one.

  • Pattern: Ennoble by Laura Nelkin
  • Yarn: Schaefer Yarns Heather, colorway Tatiana Proskuriakoff (T.P. for short!)
  • Needle: U.S. 6 (4.0mm)
  • Started 4/8/11, finished 5/28/11
  • Link to my Ravelry project page (login required)

Father’s Day Socks

  • Pattern: my own Father’s Day Socks pattern (garter rib panels on front and back flanked by small cables)
  • Yarn: Austermann Step Zodiac, Capricorn colorway (even though Dad is a Virgo…)
  • Needles: U.S. 0 (2.0mm) Addi Turbo, 40″ circular (magic loop, one at a time)
  • Started 5/5/11, finished 5/28/11
  • Link to my Ravelry project page (login required)

Preemie hats for Sweet Caroline Project

  • Pattern: Preemie Baby Beanies by Karen Everitt (basic construction, used stitches from sock patterns on them)
  • Yarns: (L-R) Southwest Trading TOFUtsies, Zitron Trekking Maxima, Plymouth Sockotta (all leftovers from socks – left and center – and baby sweater – right)
  • Needle: U.S. 2 (2.75mm)
  • First one started 6/5/11, third one finished 6/10/11 (each one took 2 evenings of knitting)
  • Link to my Ravelry project pages: #1, #2, #3 (login required)

Mysteriously Sublime Shawlette

Deep V Sweater Monstrosity!

  • Pattern: Deep V Sweater from Classic Knits by Erika Knight
  • Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed
  • Needles: U.S. 3 (3.25mm) and 5 (3.75mm)
  • Started 1/5/09 (yes, that’s 2009), finished 6/18/11 (yes, that’s 2011)
  • Link to my Ravelry project page (do I really need to tell you again that login is required?)

This one requires some commentary… After nearly two-and-a-half years on the needles, I’m really disappointed that this turned out to be a waaaaay huge hot mess of a monstrosity. That’s the problem with an adult sweater knit in pieces and seamed together after all the hours, days, months, YEARS of knitting has been completed. (At least with baby sweaters, if they’re too big, the baby will eventually grow into it.) Holding the individual pieces up on my body, I thought for sure the sweater would be too small, if anything. Well, it’s freakin’ bigger-than-plus sized. It’s linebacker sized. Might even be too big for a linebacker. Sheesh. I knit a generously-sized swatch, which I’ve run through the washer (cold water, frontloader) and dryer (on regular, not even low heat or air fluff… REGULAR HOT DRYER) and the swatch didn’t even shrink at all (which is not at all what I expected). However, the swatch did come out extremely soft after washing and drying. So the sweater wasn’t a total waste of time — at the very least, it will make a great lounging around the house in wintertime sweater. A note about the v-neck: Yes, it’s supposed to be a very deep v-neck… though not quite THAT deep. I’m short. I had the foresight to alter the sleeves so they wouldn’t be gorilla-length (like the rest of the sweater, though, still too big), but I didn’t think to alter the body so the V wouldn’t be quite so low. Duh.

Butin Collar

  • Pattern: Butin Collar by Laura Nelkin
  • Yarn: Schaefer Yarns Audrey, Clare Booth Luce colorway
  • Needle: U.S. 2.5 (3.0mm)
  • Started & finished 6/22/11 (well, clasp was sewn on 6/23/11 before I went to work, so I could wear it that day)
  • Link to my Ravelry project page

This requires a little commentary as well. After the disaster that was the sweater above, this project was an absolute delight. Amy brought a kit back from TNNA (trade show) for me to try out. She gave it to me at work on 6/22/11. I knitted the whole thing that night, in about 3 hours, including the time it took to tediously thread the beads onto the yarn in a specific sequence. It would have taken me a bit less time had I not miscounted the size 8 beads at one spot and had to perform surgery on the yarn to thread on one more bead and do a Russian join to avoid too much bulk in the yarn. This is a GREAT kit — seriously, it includes everything you need except for the knitting needles. There’s even a dental floss threader included for threading the beads onto the yarn. This was also the first time I’ve used Audrey yarn — it’s a wool/silk single that’s absolutely beautiful. I think I really need to pick some up at the shop and make a shawl with it.

But wait… there’s been spinning!

Yes, I’ve been spinning! This is Highland Handmades hand-dyed bluefaced  leicester (that’s a breed of sheep) top in the Maritime colorway. It came with the drop spindle you see in the photo above as part of a beginner spinning kit. The stuff on the spindle has been spun; the fluffy stuff at the top of the photo is the fiber that I’ve pre-drafted (pulled apart to thin out the fibers before spinning). This was from my second session of spinning this fiber (trust me, you do NOT want to see the results of the first session). I’ve since gotten better, more consistent, with a little more practice. I’m a little more than halfway through spinning the whole four ounces of fiber. Not sure what I’ll do with the finished yarn yet. We’ll see what it decides it wants to be.

Read Full Post »