Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for July, 2011

So, this isn’t a new FO, but I finally got around to taking a photo of it.

I Drank The Kool-Aid

I’m referring to this one as “I Drank The Kool-Aid” because there were no less than five of my coworkers knitting it at the same time as me. It had definitely become a mini-trend at the office. A couple of my coworkers have even knit more than one in different yarns! For some silly reason, it took me more than three months to weave in two little yarn ends and wash/block it. For yet another silly unknown reason, it took me nearly a year after finishing the knitting to snap a photo of the thing. (Well, I did make a miserably failed attempt at taking a pic of myself with the cell phone one day when I wore it to work last fall.) If you do knit this project with the Firefly yarn, be aware that it takes every last bit of the two balls of yarn called for. I had about a six- to eight-inch tail at my cast-on edge, and the same after binding off. In fact, I have heard of several Patternworks customers needing to dip into a third ball of yarn in order to finish – so be safe and get a third ball, especially if you typically end up using more yardage than a pattern calls for.

And now, we move on down to the feet…

Jaytrekkers

  • Pattern: Jaywalker by Grumperina
  • Yarn: Trekking XXL, color #80 (faux-isle self patterning yarn with pinks, purples, grays and browns)
  • Needle: U.S. 1 (2.25mm), Clover Takumi 5″ long DPNs (AKA overgrown toothpicks)
  • Started 2/14/11, finished 7/3/11
  • Link to my Ravelry project page (login required)

The pattern may look sort of familiar – you’ve seen it on here twice before. This is the pattern I used for my second-ever pair of socks and also for a pair of socks made for my cousin Jill. They turned out to be a little snug over the ankles as Jadee reminded me on Plurk, but I can still get them on my feet. If I do knit these yet again (which I just might, I love the pattern) I will probably use U.S. 1.5 (2.5mm) needles just to have a wee bit extra room in the ankle. It wasn’t a problem with the first pair I made, since they’re (duh) anklets. (And damn, now I’m really hoping that Jill’s weren’t too tight! She does have smaller feet than me, so hopefully hers were OK.) It took me a while to finish these, since I knit the first sock and about half of the second sock almost exclusively on breaks at work (the rest was mostly done during long car rides). Cast-ons and kitchenering the toes were also done at home.

Recently off the needles – but not finished – is a cowl design for work. Not finished yet because it needs buttons, so I will be shopping for some this week. More on that later. Still on the needles – but finally more than halfway done – is a super secret project for a friend. My motivation to finish that (besides finishing a project for a friend) within the next month is the KnitGirllls 5K Stash Dash. (I’m at 2,692 meters knit… just a little over halfway there! Not sure if I’ll hit 5K by the deadline, but hopefully I will be close.) A perpetual item on the needles is my sock yarn blankie – I really should pick that up again, especially considering I recently received a little care package in the mail from my Pennsylvania knitting peeps, Cathy and Denise.

Sock Yarn Scraps from Cathy & Denise (miss you both too!)

And considering I haven’t had any socks on the needles since I finished the Jaywalkers on July 3rd (gasp!), I shall be casting on the Double Heelix socks from Knitty shortly. Tonight, in fact. I have two skeins of Socrates (#1019 denim and #3018 berry) and my ball winder sitting a few feet away on the sofa, beckoning me.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »