Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for November, 2013

I hadn’t planned to participate in NaKniSweMo (National Knit a Sweater Month), but I just happened to cast on an adult-sized sweater on November 10th, and figured I would try to finish by the end of the month. At a total of 48,396 stitches, my sweater falls a little short of the NaKniSweMo requirement of 50,000 stitches; however, it’s an adult-sized sweater, and it counts as far as I’m concerned. The sweater is my prize! And I’m especially proud and a little surprised that I finished it in two weeks.

Hiro72dpiMy “FrankenHiro

  • Pattern: Hiro by Julia Farwell-Clay
  • Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Company Galway Worsted, colors 704, 763, 718, 748 (bottom to top in sweater)
  • Needles: U.S. 6 (4.00mm) for sleeve and neck ribbing; U.S. 7 (4.50mm) for body and yoke; U.S. 8 (5.00mm) for sleeves
  • Started: 11/10/13
  • Finished: 11/23/13
  • Notes: This is my “FrankenHiro” because I combined elements of four different sizes. Fourth size for cast-on almost to underarms; second size for sleeves; third size for yoke; and smallest size for length of body from bottom to armholes. I also knit the sleeves 1″ shorter than the length for the smallest size. To transition from fourth to third size before the underarms, I decreased a total of 10 stitches in the span of 17 rows above full bust. I used larger needles for the sleeves since my gauge tends to be tighter when working magic loop, and the sleeves already seemed kind of narrow at the bottom.

After knitting Couronne and now Hiro, I want to knit more colorwork sweaters… which is something I never thought I would say! Still not interested in using more than two colors in a single row, though. My next mission in colorwork is to recreate a “modern retro” version of a sweater I had in tenth grade:

heartsweater72dpi

Yearbook photo of me in chorus practice, wearing the aforementioned sweater.

In my updated version, I would move the hearts up onto the yoke. Running them across the bust just would not be a good look for me at my 44-year-old bust size. Until I pulled the photo out today, I had forgotten there were little dots between the hearts. (I believe the technical term is “lice”. Ew.) Definitely want to incorporate those, though, to avoid long floats.

You can probably see in the photo that the original sweater had set-in sleeves; mine will be a seamless round-yoke. I may also incorporate a slightly rolled neckline, cuffs and bottom hem as on Couronne, instead of the traditional ribbing. Due to the smallish size of the hearts, I’ll probably be knitting this one in sport-weight yarn, most likely Classic Elite Liberty Wool Light. There are other sweaters (well, at least one) that I want to knit before taking on the retro heart sweater, so it will probably be a while before I post any more about it.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »